Tuesday, January 31, 2006

FLL

Ok, so I've caved a little on one of the things that I've said about phones in the past - that the camera is a gimic... while I still think it is... I know (at least according to Internet folklore) why it was developed - to let people take quick notes by just capturing an add and to sell more phones to teens. The picture above is somewhere in between. I'm obviously not a teen, but this picture is after a manner "notes". I'm going to be helping to judge the FLL competition this weekend in Edmonton, and last night we had an orientation session for the judges. It looks to be a great day for everyone. Events like this certainly give hope that people do understand that applied learning, and non standard evaluation has a place to play in education. Though I am hoping that events like these are not limited to a select (nee bored) few (as they were in my day, when my brother and I were in the "Challenge" program because we were bored out of our collective trees in class so we had an enrichment program on top of everything else). I think the ubergadget will come in useful then because I can take pictures with a small and inconspicuous device (we are allowed) and use that as part of my decision making toolkit. BTW, I've swapped my phone out for the chubby Nokia 6620 - works like a dream with my Mac (I just have to see if having it sync on two machines is going to give me headaches with duplicate events/contacts). It uses expandable memory (up to 128MB) so I'm sure I'll be able to find some uses for it... though right now it doesn't seem to want to play nice with BT Explorer - I can however "send" files between the machines just fine. Though it is a far cry from my first cell, the Nokia 282. Technorati Tags: , , ,