Thursday, April 20, 2006

Gmail and Gcal Integration

I noticed this the other night when I was sending stuff via GMail - that I use for my all my forwarded account (alumni et al). You can now, just like in Entourage and Outlook, add Calendar information when sending email. That is certainly very cool. Looking at the documentation - it seems that gCal is one step closer to being able to out do the current apps that we use for calendar management: Where can I find my calendar's address (iCal/XML feed)? To obtain your calendar's address, follow these steps: 1. Under "Calendars" in the left column, click on the down-arrow next to the appropriate calendar, then select "Calendar settings." 2. In the "Calendar Address" or "Private Address" section, click on the "XML" or "iCal" icon. A pop-up window with your calendar's URL will appear. You can change the amount of information available at your calendar's public address ("Calendar Address") by clicking on the "Change sharing settings" link. So now you can have iCal pic up your gCal feed and then have iSync dump off all that data to your Palm/Phone et al. Wes Fryer pointed this out and I agree - do I really want my calendar info out there for all to see? Personally I don't think it will be that big a deal. The real catch for me is that I can't make a change on my phone or my Palm and have it reflected on gCal. When that happens, gCal may replace my trusty iCal, but until then, I can't (even with the slight amount that I am busy) afford to make my calendar updates only online. Even my wife is the same way, she is looking at getting a PDA, but I suggested that she use her phone as it's always there and she doesn't really need to be tied to a computer to manage the information that she's dealing with. Technorati Tags: ,